SEO has proved to be a critical driver of targeted web traffic and online revenue generator for businesses across the globe.In case you are putting in efforts to optimise your website as per SEO strategies, you also need to put in a measure in place to ensure that you are getting absolute value for SEO efforts. In the competitive B2B industry where every move is correlated to the value it adds to a business bottom line, having a measurable RoI form SEO efforts is a great way to explore the gains in terms of business volume.
While there are a number of tools to highlight the efficacy of SEO strategies, a few like Google Analytics and Positionly are widely acclaimed. These tools comewith the unique and alluring proposition of free usage and comprehensive feature sets that appeal to businesses. Below is a listing of some of the metrics from the analytics tools that shows the RoI of SEO efforts for a website.
1. Quality Inbound links –Google gives great weightage to the amount of other websites that link to your site. It also tells Google what kind of subject matter expert is the company and assigns page rank based on this. Tools like Majestic SEO helps businesses understand and monitor the volume of inbound links being generated over a period of time.
2. Keyword ranking – When we are targeting the first page of Google to increase conversion, we need to pay careful attention to keywords that come up in users search query. When we target the most competitive few keywords, we see that significant SEO efforts will need to go into these to generate minimal results. On the other hand if we target the less competitive keywords that comprise of the long tail, we might get encouraging results and ensure that our optimisation endeavours pays off well.
3. Traffic volume – Once you have gained the upper hand in enhancing visibility, you also need to execute the second step of making visitors come to the website. Select the different parameters in Visitors’ Flow report in the Google Analytics tool to search amount of visitors by different parameters such as country, browser type, language etc. Also companies can measure the volume of organic visits and other visits.
4. Traffic quality – Once you have got a gist of the volumeof web traffic you need to gauge its quality to maximize your chances of sales conversion. Metrics such as in-site stay duration, page views and number of pages per visit help you gain appropriate insights. For instance 2.5 pages per visit or above is considered a good sign of the level of engagement your website has with targeted customers.
5. Conversion –You can track goal based conversion to see how effective your SEO strategies are. For instance, if improving potential business leads is your goal you need to track various sources of contacts such as phones, mails or appointments. Also clearly distinguish between organic conversions and other types of conversion for best conversion tracking. Conversions also result from visitors’ subscription to various call-to-actions such as e-book downloads, newsletter subscribing and social media shares/likes.
These steps are great ways to ensure that the time, efforts and money are utilised effectively. While determining RoI cannot come under the purview of fixed series of steps, there are different ways and combinations that can be utilised to track the performance of your SEO campaign.