Admit it or not, Mobile is a big part of present and future web. Over million of consumers favour apps over websites. Mobile Apps are getting lots of hype in developing market. Despite having many inherent benefits of web, there are number of reasons and scenarios where mobile app has become users first choice.
Organizations who are planning to establish mobile presence in the market will likely take mobile apps or mobile websites as their first consideration. But how sustainable is the mobile development? Lets have a look on the reasons making mobile apps preferable –
- Mobile as most Personal Device – Mobiles act more like personal assistant in today’s era. Typical device has memory cards, touch screen, directional pads, keyboards for input. A device software typically includes to-do lists, address book, calculator, calendar, wireless connection to internet. Apps are developed to solve the difficulties of the customers. Customer uses mobile from morning to evening for making payments, social interactions – “Linking to the world”, keeping health records, for students as study material, shopping, business and entertainment purposes, and more of daily activities.
- Worldwide presence of Smartphones – Nearly everyone in the world using smartphone apps. Accordingly to analysis by emarketers at the end of 2012, more than half of mobile users left featured phones and started using Smartphones. As of now, every business people, social networkers, gamers are using smartphone apps.
- Unmatched User Experience – As mobile user, we take consistency, functionality, ease of use and connectivity for granted. There are some key points need to be considered while developing best user experiencing apps – Reachability, Usage of app according to Thumb Rule, use of icons guiding users directly, ensuring device compatibility, Always ready concept, Offering non-obtrusive in-app purchases. The biggest deal breaks when customer come across pop-ups, ads, lack of social media connectivity. Users start getting frustrated when “functionality” reduces and app acts more as an intrusive ad model, “consistency” goes off when an app crashes unexpectedly, “connectivity” bothers when users get unable to share their achievements, messages, pictures etc across Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
- Better Interactivity – Interactive mobile applications grab more engagement, commitment and ongoing interactions of customers to the services. It serves customers what traditional web based application cannot. Interaction does not include only development or functionality side of app, also the designs and visuals which draw the user’s eye.
- Multiple Possibilities – Smartphones are small digital computers which are becoming more powerful and easy to access everywhere due to its portability. These are convenient for multiple tasks which are previously restricted to desktops. There are number of existing user cases for e.g. products enabled by apps, health apps etc.
- Easy access of App stores – For the predicted future, Smartphones will always depend on the app stores. Cross-selling, promotions and branding of products are component of their core features. If users have smartphone, they will have easy and convenient access to app stores. Unlike web or search engines these are only designed to sell and present app products. The new generation of app stores make it easier than ever before.
There are some following technical scenarios that supports mobile first philosophy
- Showing important content and functionality is the backbone of mobile apps – Presenting and prioritizing core content, features that have relevance in the existing mobile environment. The small screen sizes available for smartphones forces developers and designers to eliminate irrelevant information and aimless aspects. For example, shopping apps include price and reviews of the products available for ease of in-store shopping, then comes the capabilities which enhances the functionality makes possible to engage and delight users such as barcode scanning, image recognition etc. Another case can be of airline apps which always prefers to present data regarding flight statuses and flight check-ins. Most importantly, social media apps always grab users involvement through instant messages, notifications. This is how different genres of app prioritize its content.
- Continuous enhancements – This section of mobile first philosophy focuses on each and every module of an app for advancements. This concept is applied by delivery vital content (i.e. words, pictures, videos), presentations, updations. Updations can be of any type i.e offers made by companies, new features. Also, updations can be “On demand changes”.
- Use of New Capabilities – As mobile being personal assistant to everyone in the present era, new options are available to meet their need. Prime example for this is location detection. A mobile can more accurately track the user’s exact location than desktop and also can deliver accurate information about specific location. Along with these kind of new capabilities, the concept of mobile first philosophy will allow user to position himself with the cutting edge of upcoming trends such as NFC, Proximity Sensors, Accelerometer Sensors, Camera, Virtual Reality.